Friday, April 10, 2009

It Is Over (At Least That Is My Hope)

As I said in the last post, the challenges of the Siem Reap infrastructure are difficult but we have met every challenge. After all, it is not rocket science is it? That is what keeps us going and keeps us addressing our guest's needs.

I say it is over, and what is that exactly? I believe the US recession has hit the bottom already and is on the slow climb back up. And that will be followed soon by the global economy. Why do I believe that, given that we had a terrible night of sales at Linga Bar and only one room occupied in our hotels. Well, I say that because this has been going on for nearly two years, and then the meltdown of last September and October has passed. I feel like our guests have seen the worst and our continuing to carry on with their lives. I feel this because I have talked to and met our last few guests and they echo that sentiment. Actually, the last guest of The One Hotel consisted of an employed real estate lawyer and an unemployed spouse. We gave them a great deal at The One Hotel and they loved their stay.

I say the global recession is soon to be over but we may not feel it real terms for another month or two but this is the most optimistic I have felt in more than six months. After all, we have to get on with our lives and enjoy it to the fullest, right? Of course, this is a result of the efforts of the Obama administration since taking office. I can not say enough good things about him: he is thoughtful, competent, inclusive, deliberative, etc. And the renewal of America's standing with the world is a great thing to see happen. We will get through this, and be stronger for it I hope.

Now, all we need is for you to book a room or stop by Linga for a drink. We hope to see you soon!

PS - As I have written before, there are plenty of great ways to get to Cambodia without going through Bangkok or Thailand so don't let their political dramas deter you. We are even getting guests that fly directly from the US to Siem Reap (via Seoul) which has been nice to see.

No comments: