Friday, August 1, 2008

Cambodian Elections

I arrived in Siem Reap to live about four and a half years ago, just after the last election here in Cambodia. In that election no party won a majority of parliamentary seats so for the next year there was no formed government here. Not that you could tell any difference as things went on as normal. So, I was interested to see how this year's election would happen. There was not much suspense as Hun Sen's Cambodian People's Party had a firm lock on the political landscape. As the election neared I met with my staff to let them know that I expected them to vote, that I would give them the time off work to do so and I would compensate them for travel expenses or a bonus for those that voted. I did not realize it but voters have to go their home towns/provinces in order to vote, no absentee votes possible. So, some of my staff could not vote due to living to far away. Also, many were not registered to vote. In the end, only three of 15 staff voted but it was kind of a mini-holiday for us as businesses were closed.

I went out for my usual bike ride on Sunday afternoon, election day. I took to the back roads like I tend to do, because the scenery is so much more interesting. I passed several voting booths that had been setup for the occasion along my usual route. It was late in the afternoon and I guess 6pm came and went because as I was passed by a small caravan of motorbikes. On the motorbikes were some election officials with the ballot box and other gear. About six or seven motorbikes in total. I really felt like I was a minor witness to history, democracy as it happened. The caravan continued and I followed along as best I could, interested to see where the ballot box was headed. It ended up a local school and it all felt very normal, very peaceful. Considering the violence of past elections here (with only minor reports of violence this time) I felt a sense of relief about where Cambodia is heading. Then again, with the CPP so firmly in control the prospect of real reform here is not strong. But, progress is not always as fast as we wish it would be but it is nice to know it is going forward.

No comments: